Thursday 6 August 2009

Happy Birthday Singapore! (6th Aug 2009)

Posting this in advance because its happening over the upcoming weekend. It is Singapore’s 44th Birthday and the nation has come a long way. I am un-ashamed to say that I am proud of what we have achieved, and how this small island in the middle of South East Asia continues to thrive.

I was born in KK hospital (as were most babies of my time), grow up here, found a job here, found the love of my life (my wife) here, and am now a proud father of two kids. So, all of my life, I have called no other country home. And while there has always been that odd compliant here and there, I can honestly say that even now, I would prefer to be in no other place.

I have come across others which have wanted to emigrate overseas, or had such complaints it seems like they hate being here. But to me, I have always felt that to these people, its because the grass is always greener on the other side.

From a financial perspective (since this is ultimately an investment blog!), Singapore is actually a very good place to grow your wealth. Taxes here are very low and it is possible to save. (In fact, Singaporeans are one of the world’s biggest savers). Furthermore, there is no capital gains tax with regards to gains from investments from stocks or unit trusts. Even property gains are tax free, unless you are deemed a trader.
The good government, hardworking population and our unique geographical position has also meant that Singapore has thrived as an economy, hence giving lots of job opportunities to the people and enriching the properties of its owners over the decades. Hence, although we are not the US, nor some other large resource rich country that has great social welfare benefits given to its citizens, we nevertheless still thrive and have a standard of living that most countries would envy.

Happiness is often relative though. Although many Singaporeans are relatively well off, there is always a tendency to compare. And once we compared, there will always be someone who is more successful, earns more money, drives a bigger car, or lives in a bigger house.

I try not to compare and focus on what I do have, which is health, friends, and family. I am sure there was lots of people who are richer, just as there are some who are poorer, but I do not care. I pursue wealth not because I want to be the richest person around, but because I want the kind of freedom it would allow me to enjoy. And in the meantime, I try not to forget about the things which are most important – like kinship and friends.

So, while I do not want to be poor simply because I don’t want to have to be stuck forever working just to get by. I have no wish to be a slave of money. And I am just thankful that the country Singapore, where I was born in, has given me the environment and opportunities where I can pursue my dreams and be happy. With the two integrated resorts coming up, the transforming or our reservoirs and rivers, more parks, and the more developments in Marina Bay and others, Singapore will be an even more beautiful nice place to live in the years to come. So, once in a while, stop and smell the roses. You might be amazed at this country we live in which I call home. Happy Birthday Singapore!

No comments:

Post a Comment